Monday, 10 November 2008

having never written a talk in my life...

... i have 4 to write in the next 3 weeks.

first, a talk on 2 Kings 5 for Mini Kids (4-7 year olds) next Friday (21st)... i don't even know the story, must get on with this. I guess this one is slightly easier as it's just a case of getting the story and the point across, it's not like Justin Mote is watching over me to critique my theology and application. Praise God for that! (hehe) that said, I need to do it right.

second, my North West Partnership talk (Thurs 27th), which is on 1 Thessalonians 5:1-11. I'm systematically trying to work my way through the "tools" we've been given for working out what it's saying and also how to write the talk. I'm so glad we got all this teaching before we had to write the talks! I'd have completely had no idea. Anyway my current position is that I get what it's saying, but I'm not sure of the application and I can't think of any relavant illustrations. They'll come, we assume. On the same theme as before, I'm glad I'm not a boy and therefore Justin Mote isn't critiquing me. I'm not scared of him or anything, it's just his brain is BIG. I'm sure the lady who leads our group's brain is also big, but she's very smiley and says criticising in a very kind way. I can deal with that.

third, i'm doing a seminar at Liverpool City CU's houseparty (Sat 29th) on living with non-Christians. I'm a little happier about this, or at least the content. I just need to get that bizarre combination of Bible study and talk that a seminar requires. I've done some work on this, it just needs padding out. It's weird being asked to lead a seminar. I only "left" CU like 5 months ago.

and fourthly, i'm speaking briefly (10 mins or so) at the Widowers group at Bridge (3rd Dec). Haven't decided what to speak on yet, it's more of a thought for the day than a full on talk, but needs to be relevant and sensative. Considering something about God never leaving us... Dunno yet.

So... nothing like everything coming at once!

1 comment:

Mr John Cooper said...

How did it go? Eager ears wish to know - else excited eyes wish to read!

Warmest Regards as Always

john